From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 18:47:55
1 On 1 May 2012, at 19:03, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >> …
3 >> Since .mp4 video most always means h264 encoding, this means slow and dirty transcoding, which will inherently cause loss of video quality. You want to avoid transcoding if you can.
4 >>
5 > …
6 > Hi Stroller,
7 > I subscribed to a trading service that provides 6 1/2 hour videos
8 > of the day's market action with audio commentary for each trading day
9 > of the week. I like this trader who does the commentary so after the
10 > market closes I'd like to review what he thought about the day's
11 > action. These files are available only in wmv format. They play fine
12 > inside of a Windows VM using Windows Media Player on my Gentoo box but
13 > I'd prefer to be able to review them in Linux using xine or some other
14 > app.
15
16 Ah, so no good alternative, then, and you probably don't care so much about video quality, as long as it's watchable.
17
18 >> The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
19 >> container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
20 >> ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.
21 >
22 > … I sort
23 > of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
24 > subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
25 > subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
26 > recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
27 > Nothing more.
28
29 It might well be worth trying these win32codecs, then - setting the USE flag in mplayer and re-emerging. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's worth a go. He's probably using some MS screencast software.
30
31 Stroller.