From: Jason Weisberger <jbdubbs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ram Problem!
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 15:12:16
1 There is absolutely no reason why you can't use the vanilla kernel. Go
2 right ahead.
3 On Dec 24, 2012 10:08 AM, "Teodor Spæren" <teodor.spam@×××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > Hello!
6 >
7 > I am trying to install gentoo on an old armada m700. The specs that I
8 > think is relevant for this problem is the clocking speed of the cpu and the
9 > ram. It got 223mhz of clocking speed and 116mb ram. I have added 512mb of
10 > swap since I knew the ram was going to be a problem.
11 >
12 > The command I issue is: "emerge gentoo-sources" and the output of the
13 > command is this: http://bpaste.net/raw/66293/
14 >
15 > The only thing I can really read from the error message is that it runs
16 > out of ram. This surprises me because all it is really doing is moving the
17 > kernel sources into place? I asked around in #gentoo on irc.freenode.netand someone adviced me to turn of "MAKEOPTS="-j2" and "-pipe", but this
18 > doesn't fix it.
19 >
20 > The possible work around I have thought of is just getting the vanilla
21 > kernel from kernel.org, but the gentoo wiki advise against it, since
22 > gentoo-sources is a patched kernel.
23 >
24 > This is my first post to a mailing list, so I hope it is not to bad! :D
25 >
26 > With best regards,
27 > - TheRedMood