From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [gnome3 stable] Not as bad as I expected
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:10:49
1 I've been preparing for gnome3 for many months by running it in a
2 virtualbox gentoo-guest machine. I missed a very important gnome3
3 feature by doing it that way :(
4
5 The gnome-shell desktop has a 'gestures-based' feature, which exposes
6 the favorites menu if you move the mouse pointer *very* quickly to the
7 left upper corner of the screen. Who knew?
8
9 Well, I didn't know until yesterday because virtualbox allows the mouse
10 pointer to slide right off of the guest window onto my real desktop
11 without notifying the guest machine, apparently.
12
13 Anyway, the active-left-upper-corner feature saves me one annoying extra
14 mouse-click when launching the apps I use all day long. That one extra
15 mouse-click was a major gnome3 "bug" for me, but now it's just a virtual
16 bug :)
17
18 For us old gnome2 farts who don't know where to begin with gnome3, I'd
19 suggest installing two gnome-shell extensions that may save you many
20 hours of bewilderment:
21
22 First, the "settings center" extension, which exposes several important
23 sub-menus that are otherwise nearly impossible to find.
24
25 Second, the "system-monitor" extension, which replaces the multiload
26 gnome-panel applet that I can't live without. The gnome extension
27 website offers several 'system-monitor' applets, but the one I'm now
28 using is the one written by 'darkxst'. So happy :)
29
30 I strongly suggest emerging the 'alacarte' and 'gnome-tweak-tool'
31 packages from gnome-extra. They are not installed by default when
32 emerging 'gnome', but I couldn't use gnome without them.
33
34 Happy to answer any gnome3 questions if I can.