From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: losing network IP address
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 18:39:39
1 On 03/22/2017 11:27 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 10:45:47 -0600, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Rule out the software issue by booting a rescue CD. See if the problem
5 >>> occurs there, too.
6 >>
7 >> Now, I'm even more confused then before. It could be the router (Linksys
8 >> firewall dd-wrt) or the box.
9 >
10 > You said that connecting the box to a different router showed the same
11 > problem, yet connecting a different box to the same router (and cable)
12 > did not. That indicates that both the router and cable are sound but the
13 > box may not be.
14 >
15 > Which leaves two likely causes, a software configuration error or a
16 > hardware fault. You have already been advised to try a live CD to check
17 > for the former, have you done this?
18
19 Last week on remote location this small box "atom" was working 7-days
20 without a problem (they run 24/7). I had not done any upgrade.
21 And without any cause it started having intermittent problems, it is
22 either freezes or not getting correct IP.
23 I tried the box on two different ports two different cables (same
24 router, Linksys).
25
26 When I took the box home the network interface is getting correct IP on
27 Asus-router but the box freezes (not responding after a while, I had to
28 pull the plug on it) it happen twice in two days.
29 So the box definitely has some problems (it is not good for production
30 any more) but I'm puzzle about the network interface. It works reliably
31 at home but not in remote location.
34 Thelma