From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old server: what about udev and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS ?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:57:03
1 On 20/04/2015 14:51, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 >
3 > Another > 5 yr server that needs some care.
4 >
5 > sys-fs/udev-151-r4 and a kernel without CONFIG_DEVTMPFS set.
6 >
7 > The old udev blocks openrc etc etc ...
8 >
9 > Aside from: "install from scratch" ->
10 >
11 > what happens if I upgrade udev before booting a kernel with
12 > CONFIG_DEVTMPFS set?
13 >
14 > Problems?
15
16 Yes, it won't work. And the ebuild will error out.
17 >
18 > I'd like to upgrade udev, then install openrc etc ... before I can drive
19 > there and reboot the box.
22 You intend to drive there anyway and reboot it. Rebuilding udev & openrc
23 will probably take 15 minutes.
24
25 It's such a little time, why are you trying to save 15 minutes in
26 advance by taking an unknown and risky path? Just do everything on-site,
27 it's safest
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com