From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] undelete files and dirs on ext3 partition
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:44:43
1 On Friday 15 February 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:09:37 +0100, pat wrote:
3 > > One of my coligues used this "rm -rf /" command on his ext3
4 > > partition as root ... of course :-( He removes about 50% of data.
5 > > And my question is: is there a utility to undelete the files and
6 > > directories or at least some files? I know that this shouldn't be
7 > > possible but data are worth to ask :-)
8 >
9 > He could try photorec from the testdisk package, but mount the
10 > filesystem ro immediately to reduce any further damage. The output
11 > from photorec isn't pretty and will take a lot of work to sort out
12 > what is worth keeping, but that is all part of the learning process
13 > :P
14
15 Neil, you are a master of understatement :-)
16
17 pat, it might be possible to get some stuff back, IF he remounted ro
18 immediately and IF not much writing to the disk happened in the
19 meantime.
20
21 However, by the time you are done it is usually not worth the effort it
22 took. It's easier to reinstall and restore backups. But if there are
23 some irreplaceable files on that disk, you have no choice. good luck to
24 him.
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list