From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any consequences to package.mask'ing newer kernels?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:17:08
1 On Samstag, 31. März 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Saturday 31 March 2007 00:55:10 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > Having gotten rather tired of doing this
4 > > manually... again... I went into /etc/portage/package.mask and added
5 > >
6 > > >sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r5
7 > >
8 > > It won't hurt me now, but is there anything that might depend on newer
9 > > kernels? It's assumed I'll upgrade when required by a security alert.
10 > > Other than that, how long can I get away between kernel upgrades?
11 >
12 > Just watch your GLSAs, and you should be fine. If a package depends on a
13 > certain kernel version, it will list that in it's depend line, and emerge
14 > will complain that it can't satisfy that dependency.
15
16 Well, there are many security related kernel bugs (just read the Changelogs of
17 the .18, .19 and .20 'stable' releases), but hardly any kernel GLSAs. It
18 looks like kernels are not covered by GLSAs.
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list