From: Paul Sobey <buddha@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge -puv really slow?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:56:52
1 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > Paul Sobey schrieb:
3 >> For the last couple of weeks I've noticed that emerge -puv world takes
4 >> an absolute age on my machine (currently at 5 mins and counting),
5 >> while the cpu gows to 100%. The little emerge rotator bar that spins
6 >> while it calculates dependencies moves extremely slowly. Is there any
7 >> known bug that causes this? How can I go about troubleshooting?
8 >>
9 >> Cheers,
10 >> Paul
13 > My guess is you have removed the portage-cache before using emerge.
14 > Normally this happens when a previous emerge --sync fails because of an
15 > error or there are identical timestamps on the server and the local
16 > machine.
17 >
18 > When this happens you have no portage-cache because portage deletes the
19 > cache first when syncing. If the timestamps are identical the cache is
20 > not regenerated. If there is an error while syncing the cache is missing
21 > too, because the regeneration of the cache is done in the end of the sync.
22 >
23 > So the cache is regenerated when doing the first emerge and this takes
24 > quite a while. Even on a Core2Duo 6600@2.40GHz i takes more then three
25 > minutes :-).
26 >
27 > In case of the timestamp issue i think it is a bug [1]. I think portage
28 > should first check the timestamps and if they are different it should
29 > delete the cache!
30
31 Interesting idea - I've been running eix-sync in my crontab. Perhaps
32 that hasn't been updating the edb cache. I've changed it eix-sync -r,
33 perhaps that will fix things.
34
35 Paul
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list