From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH won't restart
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:48:54
1 > For Grant:
2 > I reread the init script for sshd, and I know see what was most likely
3 > the problem. The init script, now, tries to kill all instances with
4 > the process name of sshd, not just the daemon (as specified by the pid
5 > file). This is why you were locked out when trying to restart the
6 > daemon. If you can restart the machine, everything should be working
7 > fine after a reboot. This behavior differs from every other distro of
8 > linux that I have used, and with previous versions of the init script.
9 > Sorry I missed that before emailing the list last time.
10
11 That's alright, I really appreciate your attention. One thing though.
12 Your init script discovery doesn't explain why sshd wouldn't restart
13 (stop actually) when I was logged in does it? Given that, do you
14 still think restarting is the way to go? I'm just trying to make sure
15 I don't restart and still not have access. That would be bad because
16 there is a crucial daemon running now that won't come up
17 automatically.
18
19 Please tell me what you think.
20