From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] file collisions
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 20:11:11
1 On Thursday 26 May 2011 17:06:14 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 26 2011, Alex Schuster wrote:
3 > > Allan Gottlieb writes:
4 > >> emerge complains that icu (details below) will overwrite files that MAY
5 > >> belong to other packages. But in fact none do. The suggestion is to
6 > >> ignore the collisions. Does that mean I should simply rm the files
7 > >> before retrying the emerge?
8 > >
9 > > Yes. If you think these files might be important, then you could back
10 > > them up first. Apparently they belong to the icu stuff you are going to
11 > > remerge anyway, so deleting should be safe I think. But it's strange
12 > > that those files do not belong to any package.
13 > >
14 > > Instead of removing them it would be easier to set FEATURES to
15 > > -collision- protect. And with FEATURES=keepwork you will not have to
16 > > recompile icu. So, I would do this:
17 > >
18 > > FEATURES="-collision-protect keepwork" emerge -1a dev-libs/icu
19 > >
20 > > Remember that you have to delete stuff in /var/tmp/portage/dev-
21 > > libs/icu-4.6.1 manually afterwards.
22 >
23 > thank you for the advice, which worked fine.
24
25 I could swear I saw the same/similar message about collisions, but in my case
26 the package emerged and the files were overwritten. Not sure if I have some
27 FEATURES setting that took care of this.
30 Regards,
31 Mick