From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get the x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8776-r1 back?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 03:43:17
1 On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 06:14:02PM -0800, Penguin Lover Daevid Vincent squawked:
2 > And, as I already posted twice now...
3 >
4 > > I emerge again, and it gives me 96.43.05.
5 > > Now when I start X, I have a blank/black screen.
6
7 Oops, sorry about that, short memory.
8 >
9 > This driver is NOT working with my card.
10 >
11 > Perhaps I need to wipe out all the files (which ones?) or something and
12 > re-install it again, but I guarantee it's doing exactly as I said it is.
13 > Black screen when X starts.
14
15 No errors? That's weird. Okay, I hope this isn't something you have
16 also mentioned before: have you tried the 96.43.01 one that is
17 supposed to be stable (.05 is in ~)? It probably won't make
18 difference, what with the binary drivers being released by nVidia and
19 all that.
20
21 If you really want to try the old ones:
22
23 http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html
24
25 > I'm curious if you have XGL working with it. I had it working in Ubuntu
26 > prior to the current release which broke it (I tripple boot). So I know the
27 > card is cabable of it. I just never got it working in Gentoo.
28
29 I tried once, a year or so, maybe more, ago. Some applications did not
30 play nice with it. And it was rather slow. So I stopped using it.
31 Haven't tried recently.
32
33 Good luck,
34
35 W
38 REMEMBER: "Stressed" spelled backward is "desserts"
39 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 453 days, 1:58
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list