From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gummiboot -> efibootmgr
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 18:34:31
1 Den 22. aug. 2016 17:05, skrev Peter Humphrey:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Following today's marking of gummiboot as to be deleted in a month, I had a
5 > look at efibootmgr in the wiki pages. It looks as though I'll be able to use
6 > it instead, but one thing puzzles me: is it possible to create a set of
7 > configs for several kernels, the way gummiboot does in
8 > /boot/loader/entries/*.conf? Actually, I'd also like to specify each of two
9 > kernel versions with three different command lines to start different run
10 > levels.
11 >
12 > My brain isn't working very well today, so would anyone like to offer me
13 > some advice? Please? :)
14 >
15 As far as I can tell, you need a separate executable for each
16 menu-entry. The "menu" would then be the modern descendant of the "bios"
17 boot-list. Works well for two or three standard boot-configurations.
18
19 Booting straight into linux on an EFI system without a boot-loader means
20 you have no way to provide command-line or initramfs as far as I can
21 tell, all modules must be compiled in, and default command-line needs to
22 be set in the kernel config.
23
24 EFI executables can also be created for example by dracut, which will
25 allow kernel, command-line and initramfs in one efi-file. I have never
26 tried this, I'm using xen.efi (a hypervisor kernel) with a config file,
27 which allows loading of separate kernel and initramfs. Config is just a
28 text file with the same name as the executable, with a .cfg extension.
29 Linux has no such magic available I believe.
30
31 Copying of executables gets unwieldy fast, plus I have found no way to
32 edit the command-line.
33
34 Therefore I keep a grub2 install as well, which has editable
35 commmand-lines and such, and also sys-boot/systemrescuecd-x86-grub. I
36 put GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" in /etc/portage/make.conf. I let
37 /boot/EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI be a copy of the Grub EFI binary, so that
38 whenever I update the bios and wipe all efi variables, I can boot into
39 Grub, given that /boot/EFI is where I mount my EFI boot partition. Works
40 as advertised. Grub is not able to load xen.efi, so I need to keep
41 xen.gz around as well for that.