From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:56:51
1 On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-30 10:28 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> udev/eudev has nothing to do with it. It's the init systems (as in
5 >> both systemd and OpenRC) the ones that are pushing/have pushed for
6 >> dropping support for it. In Gentoo, the move is being championed by
7 >> William Hubs:
8 >>
9 >> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2946
10 >>
11 >> He's the OpenRC maintainer. NOBODY who has actually worked on the
12 >> problem wants to support a separate /usr without an initramfs, because
13 >> it makes no sense.
16 > Please stop making such false statements.
17 >
18 > It only makes no sense because of *other* decisions being made that want to
19 > force files critical to booting to be placed into /usr.
20 >
21 > There is no *philosophical* reason that it 'makes no sense.
22
23 I agree; it's because of technical reasons that it makes no sense.
24
25 >> So it doesn't matter if you use udev, eudev, mdev or even a static
26 >> /dev directory; no init system wants to support a separate /usr
27 >> without an initramfs.
30 > Just fyi... the *only* problem that I have with this is that I have an
31 > *existing* system that has a separate /usr, and it only has that separate
32 > /usr because when I followed the original gentoo installation handbook back
33 > in 2003 or so, it actually had a separate /usr in the example directory
34 > structure layout, so I thought it was the official gentoo *recommendation*
35 > to do it that way.
36 >
37 > If I wasn't in this predicament, I'd just make a mental note to never
38 > install /usr to a separate partition and be done with it.
41 >> And for a good reason: is braindead.
44 > Again - it is only braindead if you accept the basic premise that it 'makes
45 > sense' to put files critical to the boot process into /usr.
46 >
47 > Personally, I think it only 'makes sense' to put files critical to the boot
48 > process into <gasp!> /boot.
49
50 What it's "critical" in the *general case*? It's NFS "critical"? It's
51 bluetooth "critical"? It's the network "critical"? It's LVM
52 "critical"? Are you going to put all of that in /boot or in /?
53
54 An initramfs covers all those cases (and many more). It doesn't matter
55 if some really simple cases could
56 possible-perhaps-if-the-stars-align-maybe work; the devs cannot
57 complicate the general case just to keep supporting some simple cases.
58 The devs want a *GENERAL* solution, that works for everybody.
59
60 That solution is an initramfs.
61
62 Regards.