From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} An old iBook G3 as server
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:12:16
1 On 23 Oct 2008, at 11:49, Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Here are my questions:
4 >
5 > - Is gentoo pcc stable enough to work on a server?
6
7 I've played with Gentoo PPC pnly on the PS3, so am only a little more
8 experienced than you. Oh! I think I did a base install on an iMac a
9 couple of years back, but haven't touched it since. Anyway, for
10 packages that are in Portage, it seems fine.
11
12 > - Due to my limited space I'd like to mount some non-vital stuff on
13 > nfs
14 > shares. Is it aviceable to mount /usp/portage on nfs? or maybe just
15 > the distfiles?
16
17 I'm sure all of /usr/portage is fine.
18
19 > - I use gentoo as the only os on all my machines and it is the
20 > distro I
21 > fell confortable with, but is it really a good choiche in this case?
22 > Would a compiled distro better fit my needs?
23
24 For me, the inconvenience of learning another distro outweighs any
25 advantages it may have. I have a really nice TST ESR316 case here
26 which I bought a couple of months ago and which I am now finally
27 getting around to deploying; with a drive array of this size ZFS
28 really makes sense, but I just know that - any other considerations
29 aside - I'll end up just hating OpenSolaris' package manager and will
30 generally be less productive.
31
32 Your milage may of course vary.
33
34 It occurs to me that - if you're being GIVEN this laptop, and the
35 university are not expecting it back - you can probably get more for
36 it on eBay than you'll pay for a replacement x86 lappie (even, say, a
37 Thinkpad). I appreciate this might seem like a long way around the
38 problem, but it might save you from some PPC inconvenience. One just
39 knows _something_ will go wrong!
40
41 Stroller.