From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:37:32
1 On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 19:39 +0100, Jarry wrote:
2 > I remember having lvm2 a few years ago, and despite of that I could not
3 > extend any partition, which was being used. What is then lvm2 good for,
4 > if I can not extend partitions on-the-fly? I can not unmount /usr before
5 > extending...
6 This is filesystem (and OS) dependent. I use XFS for all my partitions,
7 because one of the nice thing about it is, that it can grow filesystems
8 when they are mounted. I think this is possible with ext3 too, but I did
9 not test it.
10 Even under heavy load it is a matter of seconds to grow a XFS FS in a
11 LVM.
12
13 > And one more counter-argument: with traditional partitions I can select
14 > where a certain partition is (physically). Those partitions accessed
15 > frequently I put to the beginning of the disk with higher transfer-rate.
16 > In my case, it makes quite difference:
17 In my experience more (human and up-) time is lost in
18 backup-reboot-repartition-format-restore-reboot than in some iowait.
19
20 Bye,
21 Daniel
24 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
25 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887