From: "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage wants to remove less and nano
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 12:24:03
1 On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 13:30 +0200, Niccolò Belli wrote:
2 > Il 07/10/2011 13:25, Willie Wong ha scritto:
3 > > Most likely you've never set them.
4 >
5 > Shouldn't it ship with a default setting? Anyway even after setting a
6 > default, portage still wants to remove both less and nano. I had to put
7 > them in the world set.
8
9 I'll chime in. I know this has been discussed so many times... but it
10 seems the discussion recurs.
11
12 You *can* get away with not putting virtuals in your world file, even
13 with the new portage behavior. The trick is to not have any other
14 package satisfy the virtual. For example, I use most as my pager and
15 gvim as my editor. I uninstalled nano because I can't stand it and
16 never use it. I also uninstalled less because I use most. My world
17 file has neither most nor gvim in it, but because nothing else satisfies
18 the dependencies for virtual/pager and virtual/editor then they don't
19 get depclean'ed.
20
21 Of course this won't work for everyone. If you have to have 2 pagers
22 installed, for example. Where I think some people will come into a
23 problem is with sys-apps/util-linux[ncurses]. This satisfies the
24 virtual/pager dep so it may want to clean sys-apps/more. I don't have
25 the "ncurses" flag set for util-linux, so I don't have that issue.
26
27 Anyway a lot of people don't like the "new" behavior (which isn't really
28 new anymore). I can't say I'm enthused about the change, but if you
29 think about (for a while) it makes sense, and it's not like it's going
30 to kill you to put nano/more/whatever in your world file.
31
32 -a