From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change install directory of ebuilds?
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 23:04:41
1 On Sunday 05 October 2008 00:03:47 Andreas Simbuerger wrote:
2 > > Installs to /usr/local/lib sounds like b0rked ebuilds.  I'd try using
3 > > equery to find the ebuilds that installed "bad" files.  Then I'd look
4 > > for "/usr/local" in those ebuilds and fix them.  Putting the fixed
5 > > ebuilds in /usr/local/portage/..., rather than just
6 > > changing /usr/portage/..., might be even better.  Lastly, I'd report
7 > > the b0rked ebuilds on bugzilla.gentoo.org and would include the fixes
8 > > with the reports.
9 > >
10 > > Looking on my system, all that /usr/local/lib is
11 > > /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/doxypy-0.3rc2-py2.5.egg-info
12 > > which appears to have come from manually installing
13 > > ~/Download/doxypy-0.3rc2.tar.gz, i.e. the one such file I have isn't
14 > > from an ebuild at all.  Might that be what's happened to you?
15 > >
16 > > HTH,
17 > >
18 > > David
19 >
20 > Thanks for this idea! :D
21 >
22 > So portage takes /usr/local/portage before /usr/portage ?
23
24 That's pretty normal, it's so that your customizations override the distro
25 default, much like dot files in ~ override whatever is in /etc/
26
27 David's comment about b0rked ebuilds is spot-on. Most packages are built using
28 autotools, which defaults to --prefix=/usr/local. The ebuild author forgot to
29 change it to /usr/, so you have to figure out what he should have done and do
30 it yourself. I would recommend submitting a bug report plus patch when you
31 solve it, and meanwhile keeping a correct copy of the ebuild in your local
32 overlay.
33
34 By and large the broken ebuild works, as libs in /usr/local are still found on
35 systems with sane linkers, despite the location being technically incorrect
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com