From: Michael Niggli <m.niggli@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ath5k and wpa_supplicant
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 22:32:54
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 01 June 2009, Michael Niggli wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi All,
7 >>>
8 >>> Until gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5 came out I was able to use my ath5 card
9 >>> with wpa_supplicant. My /etc/conf.d/net contained:
10 >>> =============================================
11 >>> modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
12 >>> wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
13 >>> =============================================
14 >>> [snip]
15 >>>
16 >> Hi Mick
17 >>
18 >> You might want to try and change
19 >> wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
21 >> wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dwext"
22 >>
23 >> Works like a charm over here :-)
26 > Thanks Michael, I did try it, but I am not sure if wpa_supplicant is meant to
27 > work with kernel modules or with external modules ... or with both?
28 >
29 It should work with both - from its perspective, there shouldn't be any
30 difference between in-kernel or an external module, actually :-)
31
32 So if it doesn't work already with -Dwext, you might want to make sure
33 /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf is properly configured
34 (wpa_supplicant usually doesn't automatically pick up networks it is not
35 configured for).
36
37 man wpa_supplicant.conf helps here :-)
38
39 A minimal configuration for an unencrypted network might look like
40
41 ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
42 network={
43 ssid="your-essid"
44 key_mgmt=NONE
45 }