From: Neil Isaac <isaac.neil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Gnome admin browsers, and more!
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:21:45
1 On 9/12/06, A. R. <feoymalo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have finished a new Gentoo installation with Gnome as the desktop
4 > environment. It is working okay, except for a couple of issues:
5 >
6 > 1. The admin browsers (Services, Shares etc) do not work properly.
7 > When I try to open "services-admin" for example, as a normal user, the
8 > window comes up, all "greyed out" and nothing else happens! I am not a
9 > very experienced Gnome user, but I was expecting to be prompted for
10 > the root password. Something must be wrong with my configuration since
11 > running services-admin as root works!
12
13 Try changing your launcher to use gksudo to launch services-admin
14 (make sure you run visudo and allow yourself to run all commands).
15
16 > 2. The icon browser that pops up when attempting to put an icon on a
17 > custom app launcher does not browse anything other than
18 > /us/share/pixmaps. If I change to a different directory, I cannot
19 > select any of the icons in that directory!
20
21 I find that I need to type the path (or browse to it) and press enter
22 in the text field afterwards to display the icons in that directory.
23
24 > Has anybody experienced the same problems? I know that they are not
25 > very critical to the whole operation of the environment, but man, are
26 > they annoying?
27
28 Sure are ;) I hope this helps!
31 Neil Isaac