From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eez a byootiful dai todai
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:23:07
1 In the last episode, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 BS>
4 BS> Personally, I use Kubuntu on my laptop and have never had a reason to
5 BS> change root's password from the default. Even on my Gentoo desktop, I
6 use BS> sudo (and my user password) 100x more often than su/login and the
7 root BS> password.
8 BS>
9 BS> The choice to not ask for root's password during installation was amde
10 for BS> good reason. One less question makes the installation easier and
11 faster, BS> and providing the randomized password + sudo access increases or
12 at least BS> does not decrease security afforded by the "old" Debian way
13 (which ends up BS> prompting for two passwords; each twice).
14 BS>
15
16 It is also possible to use sudo by passing it the root password - I myself do
17 this, and it is more secure.
18
19 Jeff
22 For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
23 over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
24
25 Richard Phillips Feynman, American physicist, 11/5/18-15/2/88
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list