From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel does not boot after adding a new SATA drive
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 20:15:16
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 06/09/2016 21:39, gevisz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2016-09-06 22:08 GMT+03:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I have already looked into this file but did not find where to set the
10 >>>> UUID of the root partion.
11 >>>>
12 >>>
13 >>> It depends. :)
14 >>>
15 >>> Usually you end up with root=UUID=abc on your kernel command line. It
16 >>> looks like grub-mkconfig is supposed to do this automatically.
19 >> I do agree and suspect that it is a bug in grub-mkconfig.
20 >>
21 >> Why otherwise adding a new unformatted disk to the system
22 >> should prevent grub from finding a root (and boot :) partition
23 >> if it already been set in fstab?
24 >
25 > Easy. BIOS/efi and/or udev has decided to renumber your drives and give them
26 > different node names.
29 Adding a new disk would not affect the UUID of existing disks, so as
30 long as grub-mkconfig is setting them on the command line you won't
31 have this issue.
32
33 Whether or not there is a bug is another matter. If you tell
34 grub-mkconfig to not use UUID then it will comply. And then
35 renumbering can certainly cause issues.
38 Rich