From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID vs "Fake" RAID
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:37:20
1 On Monday 27 April 2009 14:18:39 Yahya Mohammad wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I'm setting up a new desktop machine with RAID 0. The motherboard I
5 > bought supports the so-called "Fake" RAID, which offloads most of the
6 > processing to the system CPU. What are the pros and cons of using this
7 > as opposed to pure software RAID?
8
9 There are no pros that I have ever seen and plenty of cons. Notably -
10 performance sucks.
11
12 You are almost always better off using software RAID. Big plus - you can
13 actually configure it to get a result closer to what you want as opposed to
14 what the firmware manufacturer wants you to have.
18 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com