From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: jffs2 on gentoo
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:47:29
1 On 18 Mar 2008, at 10:33, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 01:47 +0000, Stroller wrote:
3 >> On 17 Mar 2008, at 18:10, James wrote:
4 >>> ...
5 >>> Wear leveling is *probably* built into the IDE to CF converter
6 >>> carrier board?
7 >>
8 >> Almost certainly not, I'd have thought. Aren't those boards just dumb
9 >> pin-convertors? CF cards "talk" IDE.
10 >
11 > Yes they are.
12 >
13 > Another thought crossed my mind today: Does wear leveling work if I
14 > create loopback devices (ext2-formatted) on FAT32?
15
16 Surely so. In this case you would be writing to the flash device's
17 FAT32 filessystem. It doesn't matter if you're writing a .RAW picture
18 file, an .iso or your loopback fs.
19
20 > By the way: Why is wear leveling filesystem-dependent anyway?
21
22 No idea. Please note that in this thread I have stated that I
23 _understand_ wear-levelling to be filesystem-dependent - it is others
24 who have made replies stating this more confidently.
25
26 > I would
27 > have thought it were working on blocks (like device mapper,
28 > cryptsetup,
29 > lvm and so on) and not on files.
30
31 Ah! But here we come back to the problem of recording how many times
32 a given block has been written upon, in order not to kill that block.
33 Most filesystems don't have to do that.
34
35 Stroller.
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list