From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended filesystem for an SSD drive and what mount setting to be used?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 08:46:43
1 On Friday, 27 March 2020 05:34:58 GMT tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2
3 > hopefully in the next daus my first SSD drive will arrive
4 > (corona makes everything more difficult...).
5 >
6 > To prevent an "installed and works"-experience which ends
7 > a month later in a damaged or over-weared SSD with a drastically
8 > shortened lifetime, I want to ask here for own experiences:
9 >
10 > - What is the best filesustem to be used with a SSD, which
11 > will used for /root when it comes to prolong life of that
12 > SSD ?
13
14 Ext4. I did try F2FS several years ago, but it caused loss of data. It may be
15 better now, but I wouldn't risk it as there's no need: these days SSDs are
16 quite happy with ext4.
17
18 > - What options are recommended for the according mount command?
19
20 Nothing special, just 'defaults,relatime' in my case, but put something like
21 this in root's crontab:
22
23 15 1,13 * * * /sbin/fstrim -a
24
25 (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's no longer necessary.)
28 Regards,
29 Peter.