From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:18:37
1 On Monday, March 21, 2016 03:02:49 PM Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-03-21, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Anyone who boots directly to X'doze without first going through a safe
4 > > console login is a raging mad lunatic who needs his head examined. [...]
5 >
6 > A bit hyperbolic perhaps, but I've always been a firm believer in the
7 > "boot to console and start X from the command-line" theory. I've been
8 > doing it that way for almost 30 years now, and it's saved me
9 > innumerable headaches.
10
11 I've been booting into X directly for over 13 years (forgot the actual year)
12 now and only had an issue 3 times.
13 Every time I managed to easily fix it by using "init=/bin/sh" and fix it from
14 there.
15
16 And those have not happened often. (maybe 5 times at the most)
17
18 The trick is to run mostly stable and use your brain.
21 Joost