From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT - Need grub help
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:30:21
1 On 4/18/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 19:37 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
3 > > Is there a way to find out which hard drive grub considers to be (hd0)
4 > > and so on? The guy I'm helping to install Gentoo is having trouble with
5 > > grub. grub detected /dev/hdd, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. At this point
6 > > we're treating them as (hd0), (hd1) and (hd2). Everything seems right
7 > > to me, but it won't work in practice. How do we find out what is what?
8 >
9 > Is the listing in /boot/grub/device.map correct even if grub.conf isn't?
10
11 Not sure what you mean here...
12
13 The device.map file can be used when you 'install' the grub MBR and
14 (possibly) the stage1.5 files. So when you do a "setup hd0", it knows
15 that corresponds to /dev/sda in the operating system. It should match
16 the device order used by the system BIOS.
17
18 At boot time, the ordering of hd0, hd1, etc is dependant upon the
19 system BIOS. hd0 is virtually always the drive being used to boot.
20
21 >From the grub documentation:
22
23 " Note that GRUB does _not_ distinguish IDE from SCSI - it simply
24 counts the drive numbers from zero, regardless of their type. Normally,
25 any IDE drive number is less than any SCSI drive number, although that
26 is not true if you change the boot sequence by swapping IDE and SCSI
27 drives in your BIOS."
28
29 One option you have is to drop into the grub shell on boot, and do
30 something like:
31
32 find /grub/stage2
33
34 That should list all drives and partitions where /grub/stage2 is found.
35
36 HTH,
37 -Richard
42 > --