From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 03:40:32
1 > > > I think you're right about that. Can I configure eclean to wait a
2 > > > certain number of days since a package was removed before cleaning it?
3 > > > Even if I only run it once per week, it could remove a package that
4 > > > was updated yesterday that I find out I need tomorrow.
5 > > >
6 > > > - Grant
9 > > -t, --time-limit=<time> don't delete files modified since <time>
10 > > <time> is an amount of time: "1y" is "one year", "2w" is "two weeks",
11 etc.
12 > > Units are: y (years), m (months), w (weeks), d (days) and h (hours).
13 >
14 > I just realized that --time-limit doesn't look like it takes into
15 consideration when a package was removed from the system, only when it was
16 installed. Does anyone know how eclean behaves as far as leaving packages
17 behind for a while in case they're needed?
18
19 This just got me today. I recently updated google-chrome on one system,
20 'eclean packages' ran at some point, then chrome started acting up and I
21 couldn't go back to the previous version because eclean had wiped out the
22 package. I don't think we can count on --time-limit to save us because it
23 can still wipe out all previous versions of a package. What we need is a
24 way to keep at least one older version of each package.
25
26 - Grant