From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU/distcc combination question64-
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 18:28:21
1 On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 02:56:58PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote
2
3 > For 32-bit distcc on 64-bit host there is no need to chroot or
4 > create VM (hey, they're hellishly slow!). Just add -m32 to your
5 > *FLAGS to force 32-bit arch. (In some rare cases ebuild ignores
6 > {C,CXX,F,FC}FLAGS, while this is a bug and should be fixed, this
7 > can be worked around on distcc server by forcing -m32 for each
8 > gcc call.
9
10 -m32 in a 64-environment works for "Hello World". More complex code
11 that requires arch-specific headers and libs will have problems. It
12 "works" with Gentoo distcc. Rather than erroring out, it sends the work
13 back to my Atom netbook, and says "Sorry, you have to do this yourself".
14 This defeats the point of distcc. Outside of Gentoo distcc, the errors
15 stop the build. So yes, I do need a 32-bit environment.
16
17 I ran into this, trying to manually build Pale Moon (a Firefox fork)
18 for my Atom netbook from a 64-bit environment. It doesn't work.
19 Mozilla and its derivatives all use the same weird build scripts.
20 See... https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10002
21
22 I eventually re-installed 32-bit Gentoo on my ancient Core2 machine.
23 Since it only has 3 gigs of RAM, it's not losing anything. It
24 successfully built the Atom-specific branch (a bunch of "web-developer"
25 stuff removed) for my netbook. My netbook is actually "-march=bonnell"
26 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnell_%28microarchitecture%29
27 I selected that instead of the generic "-march=atom".
28
29 By the way, Atom-specific-source Pale Moon builds are really snappy on
30 a newer machine when built with "-march=native". On the other hand, the
31 Firefox developers have utterly gone off the deep end. The
32 Atrocious^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Australis GUI was the final straw that drove
33 me away.
36 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
37 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications