From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 23:09:47
1 On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:37 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >
7 > <SNIP>
8 > > I have looked into OpenNAS and other NAS OS stuff. Some are on USB
9 sticks and basically, you shut it down, upgrade the USB stick, insert it
10 back into NAS and boot up.
11 > <SNIP>
12 >
13 > The first version of TrueNAS I used was on a USB stick and it worked fine
14 so I'm fairly confident you'd be at least functional.
15
16 One last thing for now - if you do buy a used MB do some research into
17 whether it will actually boot from USB. One of the ones I bought actually
18 did not do that so I had to dig up a old DVD drive to install from a CD.
19
20 - M