From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Udev rules for identical hard drives
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 00:04:20
1 On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Hi there!
4 >>
5 >> I do not understand the numbering of my hard drives. There may be some
6 >> inherent logic, but whenever I make some changes, like replacing drives,
7 >> or changing BIOS settings, the order changes. Maybe it's even more random.
8 >>
9 >> So I made some udev rules like this, and my drives are called /dev/hd1,
10 >> hd2 and hd3:
11 >>
12 >> SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", KERNEL=="sd?", ATTRS{model}=="SAMSUNG HD154UI",
13 >> SYMLINK="hd1"
14 >>
15 >> This works fine, and this way I can address them in scripts, smartd and
16 >> hdparm config files and such. But now I have two identical drives. I had
17 >> this before with the drive above, but while being identical models, the
18 >> two drives differed a little in size, so I just had to add ATTR{size}.
19 >> This does not help with my current drives, and I find nothing
20 >> in /sys/block/sd?/device/ that differs. Could there be another way to
21 >> distinguish the drives, like looking at the partition scheme or something?
22 >
23 > If you want to distinguish partitions, I would recommend using labels
24 > (in fstab too); those never change unless you specifically change
25 > them. Then, no matter how you put them in your machine, they will get
26 > mounted correctly, and then you don't need to fuzz with udev rules.
27 > Also, as a superficial bonus, they get mounted using the label and it
28 > looks nice in your file browser.
29 >
30 > The drives themselves I see no reason to recognize them, why do you
31 > need to do that?
32
33 Oh, and I forgot; doesn't the links in /dev/disk/by-id,
34 /dev/disk/by-label, /dev/disk/by-uuid do what you want to?
35
36 Regards.
37 --
38 Canek Peláez Valdés