From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for advice on shared file system.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:23:29
1 On Monday 26 February 2007, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 04:54:31PM +0000, Peter Lewis wrote:
5 > > I've been looking around for a while now for some sort of "shared
6 > > file system" which might meet my needs a little better than that
7 > > which I am currently using.
8 >
9 > Maybe coda? Thought I only heard of it, not used.
10 >
11 > Have a nice day
12
13 Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Code is marketed as being able
14 to work in a disconnected state. Whatever that means, I'm sure it is
15 good.
16
17 Other than that, the easiest way will be to work on one machine at a
18 time (that doesn't seem unrealistic from the OP's original mail). Think
19 of the project as if it were a piece of paper, there is only one master
20 copy and only one place changes can be made. I would not use samba for
21 this, I would use nfs as the connection medium. Why? Personal
22 preference really, plus nfs is seamlessly part of the filesystem so
23 writing scripts to sync one set offiles with another is trivial as long
24 as the nfs mount is intact. With one big big proviso:
25
26 Make sure than your user account has the same uid on all three machines.
27 The write some scripts to rsync data to and from between the current
28 machine and the server.
29
30 hth
31
32 alan
37 Optimists say the glass is half full,
38 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
39 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
40
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
43 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list