From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:42:04
1 On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > There's not point in doing the fetch first, portage has done parallel
3 > fetching for some time - it's faster to let the distfiles download while
4 > the first package is compiling.
5
6 Speed is not always the biggest concern to me. For example, an
7 advantage of fetching separately is the compile times in genlop are
8 more accurate because they don't include fetch time, which can vary
9 wildly.
10
11 If fetch-only is done unattended, and there's a really slow mirror,
12 the interactive emerge later will still be fast, where if using
13 parallel-fetch and you hit a slow download, you just have to wait, or
14 bring up the fetch log in another terminal and kill the wget session
15 etc.
16
17 The good thing is there are options and we can all do i the way we prefer. :)