From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dmraid, mdraid, lvm, btrfs, what?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:46:37
1 On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 29-Nov-11 17:53, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>>> 1) First lesson - not all hard drives make good RAID hard drives.
5 >>> What makes a good RAID unit, and what makes a terrible RAID unit?
6 >> Some hard-drives are not suitable for raid at all. There
7 >> are many reasons for that, one example is error-recovery.
8 >> Check wiki for more info:
9 >>
10 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery
11 >>
12 >> In the first place, I would not recommend those "eco" and
13 >> "green" versions for raid at all. They have some saving
14 >> mechanisms which tend to activate at wrong time and cause
15 >> problems for raid-controllers (be it SW or HW). I'd say
16 >> it is worth to pay a few bucks more for enterprise-class
17 >> 24/7 (or special "raid-edition") drives.
18 >>
19 >> Jarry
20 >
21 > This is a good representation of what happened on my first pass with
22 > RAID. I bought a bunch of WD 1TB Green drives. They work fine, but
23 > when I put them together in even a RAID1they had very long wait times
24 > in 'top' and the speed was horrible.
25 >
26 > That's not to say all Green drives do this because they don't. It's
27 > just hard to say what will work before you buy the drives _unless_ you
28 > buy RAID edition drives.
29 >
30 > In Micheal's case he already has his drives so the will either work or
31 > they won't. That's one reason I suggested he put together a couple of
32 > configurations. He's looking at RAID5 & RAID10, which to me makes
33 > sense with 4 drives. We'll just have to wait and see how they work I
34 > think.
35
36 In this system, I have five Seagate Barracude ES drives.
37
38 http://personal.rosettacode.org/smart.txt
39
40 Which reminds me, I need to fix the tz settings on that box.
41 --
42 :wq