From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Locking down a wireless network
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:11:39
1 On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> My Gentoo router's wireless network is encrypted via WPA and doesn't
4 >> DHCP. I'd like to take this a step further in case my WPA key gets
5 >> hacked. Can I issue only certain IPs to certain MAC addresses?
6 >>
7 >> Does WPA2 require hardware support?
8 >>
9 >> - Grant
10 >
11 > My LinkSys wireless router supports MAC address filtering. I can add a
12 > MAC address to the allowed list and disallow everything else. It works
13 > for us so far, until someone manages to somehow find out an allowed
14 > MAC address and pretends to be that address. I'll deal with that
15 > should it ever happen. Unlikely I think...
16 >
17 > It is a little extra work adding a new device in as I have to discover
18 > its address but that's OK with me.
19 >
20 > I don't think is typically done in hardware as the specs change and
21 > hardware designers are reluctant to put the gates in. More likely it's
22 > done in firmware on a router like mine, or software if you're using
23 > some Gentoo box to do a job like this.
24
25 Well, using kismet to sniff out active MAC addresses of clients and
26 access points is dead simple, and MAC spoofing is even easier (emerge
27 net-analyzer/macchanger). Obviously trying to use a MAC that's already
28 active could result in collisions/IP conflict so the drive-by wifi
29 hijackers probably won't get much use of it, but if someone is doing
30 an attack on you they can wait for your laptop to be turned off or
31 wireless traffic idle, and then hop on that MAC and get in your
32 network. Even that should not be a problem if you've got eveything
33 else secured (like, if you allow passwordless entry to samba shares
34 from local address, and someone gets on your wireless, that could be
35 bad unless you put wifi in a different vlan or whatever). I don't have
36 mine set up that sophisticated, I am putting my faith in WPA2 being
37 strong enough to keep out intruders. I know I should probably be more
38 careful but I'm trusting and lazy. :) My internal devices are not
39 necessarily protected from each other.
40
41 I don't use MAC filtering, but I have the DHCP leases tied to MAC
42 addresses; I don't restrict it only to those addresses though. I have
43 a range (192.168.0.101-109) for reserved IP addresses, and dynamic
44 from 110+. My main desktop has 2 NICs and Wifi, second desktop has 2
45 NICs, Laptop has NIC & Wifi, cell phone has Wifi, land phone is Voip,
46 I have a second wireless router set up as a wireless bridge to which
47 my Xbox, Xbox 360 & Slingbox are attached, as well as any visitors who
48 happen to need to plug in a laptop in my living room. :) I let some of
49 my devices get dynamic IPs just because it doesn't matter (vonage,
50 slingbox, xbox 360) but the PCs I like to have well-defined addresses.