From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can we please get a USB-stick install boot image?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:12:48
1 On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:52:09PM -0400, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > I don't know if this is the proper list to post this request to. I've
3 > been using linux for a dozen years, and am capable of reading and
4 > following instructions. But, after a lot of dicking around, I still
5 > haven't been able to modify a CD boot image get Gentoo to boot from a
6 > USB stick. For my netbook (look ma, no CD) I ended up booting Knoppix
7 > from a USB-stick, and installing Gentoo from there.
8 >
9 > There are quite a few machines without CD drives being sold today, but
10 > none that I'm aware of that won't boot from a USB stick. I believe that
11 > USB-stick images, rather than CD images, should be the default
12 > distributed boot images on the mirrors. And think of all the CD's that
13 > won't end up in the landfill, after an install image is used once.
14
15 While I'd also like to see USB boot media, I'd like to observe that
16 SystemRescueCD, which is based on Gentoo, is perfectly good to use as
17 an install medium.
18
19 W
20 --
21 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
22 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
23 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton