From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: bloated by gcc
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 07:05:00
1 On Monday, September 29, 2014 12:37:37 AM Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 09/28/2014 01:44 AM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 > >> I'm having a somewhat disgusting issue on my Gentoo: binaries are
5 > >> unaccountably large.
6 > >
7 > > Are you cross-compiling for different hardware? I'm just curious what
8 > > results you get with --march=native.
9 >
10 > Nope. Actually, I compiled with --march=native, with no difference
11 > (probably because my code is not fancy enough to make use of whatever
12 > stuff that pulls), but then tried i686 just to enable comparing with
13 > non-Gentoo systems.
14 > The purpose is to have small static binaries compiled against dietlibc
15 > to be used in the same computer (compile once and forget about future
16 > software incompatibilities!). I compiled against glibc to make sure
17 > the problem is not with dietlibc.
18
19 Did you compile the used libraries using the exact same options on both
20 systems as well?
21 When compiling a static binary, the libraries are included into the resulting
22 binary.
23 If the libraries on Gentoo are bigger, the resulting static binary will also
24 be bigger.
27 Joost