From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sony Viao Vista and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:14:17
1 Hello,
2
3 I seem to have an adventure every time I set up a dual boot
4 laptop with Windows and Gentoo.
7 The last time I found out that HP will ship you an OEM install
8 CD so after formatting the hard drive (deleting the windows
9 hidden partition) you can put windows on any partition you want
10 and not have the MS running partition conditioning on the linux
11 and grub sectors. Grub is the bootloader/manager. I do not
12 trust MS, but, we still have critical windows software we
13 have to use from time to time.
16 Sony does not offer such a OEM CD. They say I can purchase
17 the Vista CD at retail prices (not fond of this option).
18 Sony does purport to have a good web site for individual device
19 drivers at esupport.sony.com, although I have not used it (yet).
20 Sony also said that XP will run on this new VIAO
21 (model PCG-384L) laptop. I not so sure Vista is better than
22 XP.
23
24 I want grub as the bootloader. Right now my best option seems to
25 be: purchase a copy of vista or XP from the local university ($30)
26 and install it on a new partition and use Grub as the bootloader.
27 Install Gentoo too.
30 Have I missed anything? Any other comments or insight is most
31 welcome.
34 James
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list