From: Chris Frederick <cdf123@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ldap + tls issues
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:14:49
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm working on migrating a network to allow for more users and easier
4 scaling. I'm also splitting up the main server into separate tasks. As
5 long as I'm doing all this I thought it would be prudent to add an LDAP
6 server for authentication/email/etc... I'm running gentoo-hardened on
7 the ldap server and I have been following the gentoo ldap guides here:
8
9 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml
10 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_LDAPv3
11
12 This got me a decent setup, and everything works good, but now I'm
13 trying to secure it using TLS and I can't seem to get it working. I've
14 followed both guides, searched google, and still come up with nothing.
15 I've verified the CN is correct, I've copied the cert from the server to
16 the test client, and I've verified that the certs are ok using openssl.
17
18 running 'ldapsearch -H ldap://valid-cn -D "cn=Manager,dc=secret,dc=com"
19 -W' lists everything that I've imported, but adding the -Z to the
20 command exits with this:
21
22 ldap_start_tls: Connect error (-11)
23 additional info: error:14090086:SSL
24 routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
25
26 I'm using the same common name for the ldap:// protocol as was entered
27 in the cert. Here's the relevant config sections:
28
29 /etc/openldap/slapd.conf (server only)
30 TLSCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM:+SSLv2
31 TLSCertificateFile /etc/ssl/ldap.pem
32 TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/openldap/ldap-key.pem
33 TLS_REQCERT allow
34
35 /etc/openldap/ldap.conf (client and server)
36 TLS_CERT /etc/ssl/ldap.pem
37 TLS_KEY /etc/openldap/ldap-key.pem
38 TLS_REQUEST never
39
40 Is there anything else I should check with the certs?
41
42 Also, I've been looking for a decent guide to help with installation and
43 maintenance for LDAP and I'm coming up dead. I've even checked the
44 libraries and bookstores, and apart from a 2-8 page reference in a few
45 general administrative books, I've found nothing. Can anyone recommend
46 a good book/site on how to maintain/administer/install LDAP? I've spent
47 over a week on this and it's still not operational and I'm starting to
48 pull my hair out.
49
50 Thanks in advance for any help,
51 Chris