From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gnome mplayer replacement
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 07:37:48
1 Howdy,
2
3 Gnome mplayer left the tree a good long while back.  It hasn't been
4 maintained but I kept it installed with a overlay and until recently, it
5 has worked well.  While I like smplayer the most, I use it just for
6 watching TV.  I have it set to play on screen 1 which is my TV and to
7 start in full screen etc etc etc.  So, when I want to watch something
8 short on my puter monitor, I been using gnome player for that.  Space
9 bar pauses, arrow keys skip forward etc etc.  For some basic needs, it
10 works pretty well.  Since it is no longer maintained tho, I've noticed
11 it being unable to play some video formats.  I've noticed this with .mkv
12 the most but even a few .mp4 videos as well.  Usually, it just crashes.
13 I've tried some other players but either the shortcuts aren't set to
14 work the same or there doesn't seem to even be a menu so I can change
15 settings.  This is what I've tried so far.
18 kmediaplayer
19 baka-mplayer
20 gnome-mplayer
21 kmplayer
22 vlc
25 Each has its own things I either like or don't like or just can not
26 figure out a way to set it properly.  One of those, I can't find a menu
27 for preferences no matter what I click.  I like the look but I want to
28 change what does what.  I don't need anything super fancy, like smplayer
29 which has quite a lot of features, but I do need the basics.  Space to
30 pause, arrow to go forward or backward.  It seems a few has one but not
31 the other.  One of those always shows a playlist even tho I have
32 repeatedly set it to disabled.  Each time I open a video, there is that
33 list on the right side.  :-@
34
35 If someone remembers the old Gnome player, what replaced it or better
36 yet, what can I use to replace it with the same keyboard settings?
37 Maybe there is something I haven't heard about and google wants to hide
38 from me.
39
40 Thanks for any tips.
41