From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 22:32:19
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Fiber internet is right around the corner.  Some neighbors are already
5 > connected and they working their way to my area.  Once I get connected,
6 > I also want to use a VPN but only for some programs.  Example, I want
7 > Ktorrent and a couple Firefox profiles to use VPNs but at least one
8 > Firefox profile I want to remain outside of VPN.  I watched a few videos
9 > but want to be sure I understand this right.  If I want software to use
10 > a VPN, I put the IP address of the VPN into the proxy settings of the
11 > program and that makes it use the VPN.  If I want it to not use the VPN,
12 > I leave the settings as they are now.  Am I understanding this correctly?
13 >
14 > Also, the package I'm getting is 500Mbs/sec.  What speeds should I
15 > really expect?  If memory serves me right, that is about 50MBs/sec, note
16 > the size of the B.  By the way, that is about 50 times faster than what
17 > I have now.  Also, up and down is the same.  Current up stream is a lot
18 > smaller.  Basically, I can upload files as fast as I download them.  Now
19 > I can upload videos or something.
20 >
21 > I'm looking at Surfshark and NordVPN.  Both seem to be good and at a
22 > decent price.  Anyone used one or both of these?
23 >
24 > Just trying to make sure I'm on the right path.
25 >
26 > Thanks.
27 >
28 > Dale
29 >
30 > :-)  :-)
31 >
32 > P. S.  Seamonkey is still not fetching emails automatically, I'm waiting
33 > on a upgrade to see if it gets fixed then.  If not, revive old thread
34 > and bring out the hammer.  ;-)
38 I now have fiber internet.  It was installed on Tuesday morning.  Speed
39 test shows it is awesome.  I downloaded a Knoppix iso file, about 4.4GBs
40 worth, in just about 5 minutes.  It would have taken about 9 hours on
41 old DSL internet.  I'm perfectly happy with that.
42
43 I also ordered a router that has openvpn installed on it.  I watched
44 some videos and think I can set it up to keep my traffic out of public
45 view.  After I learned more about it, there's no reason to not use the
46 VPN for all traffic really.  That way I'm protected a little bit even if
47 a website is not secure.  May not help much but it may be enough.
48
49 This is as big a difference as when I went from dial-up to DSL.  I can
50 update my OS in minutes as far as downloading goes.  Now it will be
51 compiling that I have to wait on.  Again.  ;-)
52
53 Now I know what some of you guys have been enjoying, and why. :-D
54
55 Dale
56
58
59 P. S.  Seamonkey still doesn't do email fetch automatically.  I may dig
60 out my mini sledge hammer.  :/