From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI kernel installation?
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:15:00
1 On 16/06/19 18:00, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > I don't know if it's better or not, but here's what I'd do.
3 >
4 > · I'd put each OS on it's own drive (if at all possible).
5 > · I'd have a separate /boot and / (root) for each OS.
6 > · I'd configure UEFI boot menu entries for each OS.
7 >
8 > That way, the only thing that's common between the OSs is the hardware
9 > and the UEFI. They are separate from the time that UEFI boot menu onward.
10 >
11 I'd have a single /home partition, just be aware that this can cause
12 problems if your different OS's have different levels of eg KDE as they
13 can fight each other ...
14
15 > I recommend the separate drives so that you can use the OS on the other
16 > drive to deal with a drive hardware issue.
17 >
18 > I /might/ be compelled to try to leverage the two drives for some swap
19 > optimization. I'd probably have a minimal amount of swap on the same
20 > drive as the OS and more swap on the other drive. That way each OS has
21 > some swap in the event that the other drive fails, yet still has more
22 > swap if the other drive is happy. So you benefit from the 2nd drive
23 > without being completely dependent on it.
24
25 Drives are cheap. The old "swap is twice ram" rule actually isn't an old
26 wife's tale - the basic Unix swap mechanism NEEDS twice ram. Okay,
27 optimisations turned "must" into "should", and the swap mechanism was
28 seriously revamped many moons ago and may have changed things completely
29 (I've never managed to get anyone knowledgeable to tell me what
30 happened), but what I do is always ...
31
32 Multiply my mobo's *maximum* ram by two. For *each* disk, create a swap
33 partition that size. Add all swap partitions in with equal priority.
34
35 It has been pointed out that this is not necessarily a good idea, a fork
36 bomb would cause havoc because the machine would grind to a swap halt
37 long before the OOM killer realised anything was wrong, for example, but
38 it suits me especially as I put /tmp and /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
39
40 Cheers,
41 Wol