From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnu-screen split region can't invoke shell
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 10:57:14
1 On Monday, 28 February 2022 11:12:01 GMT russian sky wrote:
2 > Is it a bug that the gnu screen itself can't invoke
3 >
4 > a shell automatically after running 'Ctrl-a S' ?
5
6 As far as I know you need to use 'Ctrl-a n' to move the screen focus into the
7 next region of the split screen and then 'Ctrl-a c' to start a window in this
8 split region with a shell in it. Otherwise it remains empty.
9
10 You could also use 'Ctrl-a 0' to display the content of the first region of the
11 screen in the second split region - mirroring what the first region shows.
12
13 'Ctrl-a tab' switches focus between regions. 'Ctrl-a n' switches the
14 displayed window within a region to the next window which has an active shell
15 in it, within the screen session. Instead of 'n' for next, or 'p' for
16 previous, you can enter the number of the window, with 0 being the first window
17 in the screen session.
18
19 I'm not sure if I explained it an understandable way, but I think with a bit
20 of experimentation you'll soon understand how screen sessions, windows with
21 shells and split regions work.