From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 18:12:30
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
3 > Sent: Friday, November 11, 2022 2:36 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
6 >
7 > On Fri, 11 Nov 2022 at 11:30, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > > I can't remember any difficulty going from the 5 series to 6.0.0
9 > > either, even though it was a .0 version, which we all know is generally to be suspected.
10 >
11 > Not when it comes to the linux kernel though, where major version changes are arbitrary and comes around the x.19/20/21 switch no matter which new features are in it.
12 >
13 > Regards,
14 > Arve
17 I can respect the fact that they've decided to increment it more often since the code is changing so much, but the 2.x to 3.x switch really should have been when they decided to drop support for the 80386 processor, and they deprecate and drop things more than often enough these days that they could easily tie it to that rather than having it be arbitrary, and therefore meaningless.
18
19 Where it's a kernel it doesn't have to break everything for everyone to justify incrementing the major. Breaking something for somebody would be sufficient.
20
21 LMP