From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge all but...
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:16:24
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM,<meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> is it possible to emerge all missing dependencies of a certain
9 >>> application without emerging the application itself? And: Will
10 >>> I hurt the system that way?
11 >>>
12 >>> Best regards,
13 >>> mcc
14 >>>
15 >> ???
16 >>
17 >> emerge -DuN application
18 >>
19 >> ???
20 >>
21 >> What am I missing in the question?
22 >>
23 >> Test it on a clean app with no dependencies missing. It should emerge
24 >> nothing. Then emerge -C one dependency and try it again. It should
25 >> pick up that dependency but not emerge the app itself.
26 >>
27 >> You will not hurt your system doing that command.
28 >>
29 >> - Mark
32 > I wanted to follow up on my somewhat cavalier comment a couple of days
33 > ago about doing emerge -C on a dependency. It was a bad comment for me
34 > to make without adding some discussion around it. This can actually
35 > harm your system if you emerge -C the wrong dependency. For instance,
36 > emerge -C gcc or python is likely a bad thing to do as you will be
37 > unable to build anything to get the system fixed again. However emerge
38 > -C jack-audio-connection-kit as a dependency for something like Ardour
39 > wouldn't harm the system but would demonstrate what I was talking
40 > about.
41 >
42 > Any new user reading this thread at some future date should ensure
43 > that (at a minimum) if they emerge -C anything at all that at least
44 > it's not part of @system. emerge should warn of this but it's best to
45 > do a little study before pushing the enter key.
46 >
47 > Cheers,
48 > Mark
52 It is good that you explained that more. I thought about the same thing
53 but thought maybe I was missing something that was mentioned earlier in
54 another message.
55
56 I wouldn't always count on portage warning before removing a system
57 package tho. I tested this by trying to remove python and portage said
58 nothing it doesn't say on any other package even one in the world file.
59 Future users may want to ask first either here or on the forums before
60 removing something that may be questionable.
61
62 It may not be a bad idea for a thread with packages that should never be
63 removed. Things such as gcc, python, baselayout etc. Maybe a user
64 would find that and at least have a general guide. I also think it
65 would be a good idea to have the same on the forums as a "sticky" thread
66 that the mods can edit from time to time.
67
68 Dale
69