From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox (Namoroka-3.6.8, actually) and Epiphany-2.31-r1 both fail to show captchas
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:03:01
1 On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On 08/26/2010 04:29 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com>
6 >> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> On a number of websites, I've been unable to see the "captcha" that I
9 >>> need
10 >>> to complete my business. Neither the image nor the response show up.
11 >>>
12 >>> Opera, on the other hand, works fine (as does IE on my Windoze laptop).
13 >>>
14 >>> For instance, I can register (it's free) with the NY Times, read an
15 >>> article
16 >>> (example: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/world/asia/26kabul.html) but
17 >>> if
18 >>> I try to email this to anyone using the link that appears on the page,
19 >>> I'm
20 >>> confronted with a dialog that should have a captcha and a box for my
21 >>> answer. It does not appear, and I cannot proceed.
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> I can't try that page because it requires an account to email to
25 >> someone else. But, in general, my first suspects would be if you're
26 >> using NoScript or AdBlockPlus and perhaps they are not allowing the
27 >> javascript from the captcha service to run.
30 > I just emailed myself that article, and there was no Captcha? Only had to
31 > disable NoScript to get the "E-mail" popup to show.
32 >
33 > That's normal. I hadn't noticed, but the captcha does not appear until you
34 type something in the message box of the email popup. On the systems with
35 the fault, all I see is a message: "Word verification prevents automated
36 systems from adding spam messages to your email."
37 On Opera or IE, one also sees the captcha and a field to fill out.
41 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD