From: Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modifying locally an ebuild
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:11:23
1 El 31/ago/2005 a las 03:37 -0300, Nick me decía:
2 > no no, you put the epatch command in your ebuild file (your own version
3 > that you put in PORTAGE_OVERLAY.) Then the patch gets applied to the
4 > mutt source file before compilation.
5
6 Ah... Already did that! In my modified ebuild what i did was to copy
7 lines from other patches and then adecuate them.
8
9 > > I don't understand this either, if i put something un *my* portage
10 > > tree the mirrors get infested?
13 > no. lets start again.
14 >
15 > there are two places that portage can get the patch from.
18 > 1. If it is small you can put it in ${FILESDIR} which is, in our case:
19 >
20 > /usr/local/portage/mail-client/mutt/files/cool-all-mutt.patch
21 >
22 > Then it is only on your system. If your revised ebuild gets accepted
23 > into portage then the patch file will also get in the portage tree and
24 > every gentooista will eventually get it via emerge sync.
25 >
26 > 2. If it is large, or if it is, for example, a commonly available public
27 > patch (for example that some third party has published) then you can
28 > instruct portage to download it from the net by specifying a SRC_URI,
29 > viz:
30 >
31 > SRC_URI="http://some.place.net/pub/patches/mutt/cool-all-mutt.patch"
34 > You can do that in your private OVERLAY ebuild, and as you say you found
35 > the patch on the net, that may be the best way to do it.
36
37 Cool, that's what i'll do.
38
39 > Again, if your revised ebuild gets accepted and if the "powers that be"
40 > get with it, the patch file might also get into the gentoo mirrors,
41 > meaning that it is easier to get with more redundancy.
42
43 I'm gonna try to file the bug report asking for it to be in portage
44 this afternoon. (got to go running now)
47 Fernando Canizo - http://www.lugmen.org.ar/~conan/
48 QOTD:
49 "I drive my car quietly, for it goes without saying."
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list