From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GRUB question
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:07:33
1 Matthew R. Lee wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 June 2008 17:54:28 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:34:35 -0400
4 >>
5 >> "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >>> I've just compiled a new kernel. I then mounted the boot partition,
7 >>> copied the new bzimage across, along with .config and system.map. I
8 >>> then edited the grub.conf But when I reboot it offers me the same
9 >>> options as in the old grub.conf not the new one. I must have missed a
10 >>> step somewhere, but I can't think where. Can anyone point me in the
11 >>> right direction Thanks
12 >>> Matt
13 >> Did you check whether you've really overwritten the old grub.conf?
14 >> Is the file in the right directory (/boot/grub/)? Is there a symlink
15 >> menu.lst on grub.conf?
16 >> Do you really boot from that partition?
17 >
18 > the file /boot/grub/grub.conf has the new config.
19 > menu.lst is a symlink to grub.conf
20 > /boot is the mount point for /dev/sda1 the boot partition
21 > the only thing that I changed is to replace the oldest kernel with the newest.
22 > The order shouldn't make any difference, I want the default to be my current
23 > working kernel. I want to test the new kernel before I make it the default.
24 > Point is that this setup was working previously and has done so since I
25 > started using gentoo. I have checked to make sure that /dev/sda1 was really
26 > mounted at /boot when I copied everything across, and it was. So I don't know
27 > what has gone wrong.
28 >
29 > Matt
30 >