From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Strategy for using SAN/NAS for storage with Gentoo...
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:58:21
1 On 16 Mar 2010, at 16:32, Steve wrote:
2 > ...
3 >> Given the point above I would also stick with software RAID.
4 > ...
5 >> If reliability is your primary concern, I would go for a simple RAID1
6 >> setup;
7 > Absolutely. Software raid is cheaper and implies less hardware to
8 > fail. Similarly, RAID1 minimises the total number of disks required
10 > survive a failure. It's the only way for me to go.
11
12 How does your system boot if your RAID1 system volume fails? The one
13 you have grub on? I think you mentioned a flash drive, which I've seen
14 mentioned before. This seems sound, but just to point out that's
15 another, different, single point of failure.
16
17 >> If you do not need data sharing (i.e. if your volumes are only
18 >> mounted
19 >> by one client at a time), the simplest solution is to completely
20 >> avoid
21 >> having a FS on the storage server side -- just export the raw block
22 >> device via iSCSI, and do everything on the client.
23 > ...
24 > Snap-shots, of course, are only really valuable for non-archive
25 > data...
26 > so, in future, I could add a ZFS volume using the same iSCSI strategy.
27
28 I have wondered if it might be possible to create a large file (`dd
29 if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/large/file` constrain at a size of 20gig or
30 100gig or whatever) and treat it as a loopback device for stuff like
31 this. It's not true snapshotting (in the ZFS / BTFS sense), but you
32 can unmount it and make a copy quite quickly.
33
34 Stroller.