From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Searching for Overlays
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 01:27:17
1 OK so yes I know overlays in the wild can be disastrous.
2 Reading the devmanual while parsing through various ebuilds
3 both portage and in the wild, does make for some interesting
4 reading:: ymmv.
5
6 I'm not sure my overlay (kung_fu) is complete.
9 'layman -L' lists reasonably qualified overlay sites; but you
10 have to add them to search out their content directly.
11
12 'eix -R <keywordname> ' will search far and wide for a given
13 overlay; like the distributed database 'cassandra.
14
15 Some googling suggest that zugaina contains a master list of overlays?
16 (not sure how true this is).
17
18 I'm not sure if 'eix -R' or 'browsing zugaina' provides the widest possible
19 list of (mostly safe) overlay sites.
20
21 Last, googling for the name + ebuild or overlay can find packages,
22 but if the archive (git etc) is not listed with a layman -L:: be
23 very cautious.... audit the details of the overlay.
24
25 Specifically, on dev-db/cassandara I find 2.1.3 and 2.12
26 ([5] "spike-community-overlay" layman/spike-community-overlay)
27
28 but the cassandra.apache.org site shows 2.1.8 and 2.20 as the
29 stable and testing downloads currently available. So is it safe
30 to use the "spike-community" overlay as a basis to update the cassandra
31 ebuild I have available?
32
33 In general, is there a list (even a private list) of know good/bad
34 actors on these overlay sites?
37 Any further tidbits on searching out and qualifying overlays (yes
38 I know only a full code audit is actually safe) that folks use
39 or would suggest would be keen. I did see some gentoo wiki pages on the
40 subject but they seem terse or dated.
43 curiously,
44 James