From: Nganon <nganon+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:05:37
1 2010/8/17 Maximilian Bräutigam <max-braeu@×××.de>
2
3 > You should backup all in / except
4 > /tmp/*
5 > /sys/*
6 > /proc/*
7 > /lost+found/*
8 > /dev/*
9 >
10 > Distfiles are saved outside the root and I can afford to rebuild world.
11 My
12 main concern was losing (gentoo) config files, speaking of which, I
13 remembered to back up /usr/src/linux/.config, and user folders.
14
15 I have no solution how to bzip or gzip your backups or how to make a dvd
16 > backup, but I use "app-backup/rsnapshot" which uses rsync but implements
17 > an intelligent rotating system that is done daily, weekly, monthly,
18 > yearly according to your config. Of course you should store the backup
19 > on another physical hdd.
20 >
21 > By the way, since a new hdd of one TB is pretty cheap, think about
22 > running your gentoo in a software RAID. Guides:
23 >
24 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
25 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Software_RAID_Install
28 Thanks for the advices. I am adding rsnapshot to my list.